THREE NEW SHAVES
Here are three new shaves that I've finished. I have been using the screw tang style of shave iron because it's easier to make but I wanted to make some traditional tanged shaves just to see if I could, and I think they turned out pretty well. The cocobolo shave has a slight curve that I want to use in my seat sculpting for windsor chairs. One is maple and one is lignum vitae.
Wednesday, December 21, 2011
This is a great small project for my young advanced apprentices as it demands precision in sculpting and fitting the iron as well as finding a pleasing shape for the handles. Wood to wood working of edge tools just seems to be the right way to get the feel of the material you're working with. The warmth and give of the wood just suits these shaves.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment